The Ainsworth Library Foundation Board held its quarterly meeting on August 18, 2021, at the Ainsworth Public Library. The meeting was called to order at 5 p.m. by President Marsha Fuchs. Roll call showed four members present: Wendy Allen, Marsha Fuchs, Traci Ganser, and Deanna Taylor. Members that were absent included Phyllis Leach, Bill Lentz, and Teri Soles. Library director, Gail Irwin, was also present.
The minutes of the last meeting and the Treasurer’s report were approved. Several bills were presented for payment and approved for payment.
The Gift Transaction List from May-August 2021 was shared. Memorial gifts were received from the Ainsworth Community Schools in memory of Mrs. Diane Daniels and Mr. Mike Max. Donations were received from Mrs. Shirley West and Mrs. Gail Sears. The Board was very appreciative of each gift.
The landscaping project was discussed. It was noted that the soaker system was recently installed. Five plants will be planted to replace the ones which disappeared.
An update was given on the summer events at the library. It was noted that the soffit and fascia work was completed. Other events included the Nelson-Rau Book Signing on May 25th, the Magic Show on June 14th; the K-4th Grade Summer Reading Program in June, and the Middle School and up Escape Room and STEM events in July.
Upcoming events were discussed.
- The Ainsworth Chamber of Commerce will hold its 2nd annual “Back to School BBQ Bash” on August 21st at East City Park from 5-7 p.m. The library will be there to sign-up children for the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. This special library is open to children from birth to age five that live in Brown County. Several foundation members said they would help with this.
- The Library will be hosting a 9/11 Memorial Poster Exhibition. It consists of 14 posters featuring archival photographs and images of artifacts from the 911 Memorial and Museum. It also has online video resources and classroom lesson plans. The exhibit should be here the last part of August.
- It was noted that the Book Club would be starting up for another year of reading and discussions. The first discussion will be held on September 20th with the title of ‘One Thousand White Women” by Jim Fergus.
- The Library will have an author visit with Bob Ross and his new title “Billy above the Roofs” on Sept. 27th.
- We will also have a State Poet (Matt Mason) visit on October 4th. Several members volunteered to provide cookies for the author visits.
The Library has been busy applying for grants. If the library is awarded a grant, the funds will run through the Library Foundation.
Fundraising was discussed. An update was given on the photo contest and the sale of the notecards. We still have some notecard packets to sell. Marsha Fuchs has a quilt which she would like to do a raffle for. Traci Ganser thought it would be great to work this in with another group holding an event.
The next meeting date was set for November 17th at 5 p.m. Since there was no further business for the Board to handle, the meeting was adjourned at 5:50 p.m.