We are one of six non-profit corporations established by the Nebraska Library Commission to provide access to improved library services through the cooperation of all types of libraries and media centers within the counties included in each System area.
The purpose of the Northeast Library System is:
- to encourage cooperation among all types of libraries and media centers in the System area;
- to develop and promote library services to meet the informational needs of all persons in the System area, regardless of their place of residence;
- to maximize the use of library resources (people, materials and facilities) and to minimize the duplication of effort;
- to encourage and assist System member libraries in strategic planning, and support them in carrying out the roles and missions they have chosen;
- to encourage the development of additional sources of funding for libraries.
Our Service Area
Boyd, Holt, Wheeler, Antelope, Knox, Madison, Boone, Merrick, Nance, Platte, Butler, Polk, Colfax, Wayne, Cedar, Dakota, Thurston, Dixon, Pierce and Stanton.
NELS covers 13,068 square miles and serves a population of roughly 202,000. That includes 223 public libraries, school library/media centers, academic libraries and special or institutional libraries.
Our Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors is composed of people that represent communities of different sizes as well as different types of libraries. Every effort is made to have a Board that reflects the diversity of our area.
2012 – 2013
Representatives from communitites with a population under 1,000
- Elaine Tobias, Pilger Public Library
- Melissa Baumert, Clarkson Public Library
- Mary Anne Schwarten, Emerson Public Library
- Tim Sebade, Emerson Public Library
Representatives from communities with a population from 1,001 – 10,000
- Dawnn Tucker, Lied Pierce Public Library
- Tami Anderson, Hartington Public Library
- Judy Hagan, Atkinson Public Library – President
- Sara Lee, Central City Public Library
Representatives from communities with a population over 10,000
- Kathy Ageton, Lutheran High Northeast, Norfolk – Vice President
- Judy Hilkemann, Norfolk Public Library
Representatives from School Media Centers
- Beth Foulks, Ponca Public School – Secretary
- Audrey Loosvelt, Madison Public School
Representative from an Academic Library
- Susan Tyndall, Nebraska Indian Community College
- NELS Director
- Shelia Cermak, NELS Assistant Administrator – Treasurer