The money raised from Friends of the Library (FOL) memberships, as well as the Book Sale, all go toward making improvements to the North Platte Public Library. Over the years, the FOL organization has funded the library’s interior repainting; re-carpeting of the children’s room; comfortable seating and other furniture; purchased a Geochron (a world timepiece); and most recently the north side window replacements. The Friends of the Library have always been supportive of the North Platte Public Library and continue to assist the Library in achieving some of its many projects.
The Friends of the Library have two projects they are currently working on: Exterior Beautification Project and a window replacement project in the children’s room.
The Exterior Beautification project is in conjunction with the City of North Platte and will include:
- Re-paving of the library’s parking lot;
- Removal of the planter which has been damaged by cars and weather over the years;
- Enlarging the sidewalks coming up to the front doors of the library;
- Adding horizontal accent bands to the North and west faces of the library to protect and cover the facade where the damaged awning and aluminum were attached;
- New electrical fixtures utilizing more energy efficient lamps and providing down lighting on pedestrian areas as well as accent lighting for the building;
- Miscellaneous wall and brick repair;
- Creation of a new concrete barrier; and
- The addition of a new front canopy.
Most of the work on this project will be completed this year (2012), except for the front canopy. At the present time, the Friends of the Library do not have the funds to add the canopy, but intend to continue to raise funds through their memberships and Book Sales.
The window replacement project in the children’s room is also a project that the Friends of the Library board have made a priority. Most of their existing funds will be used on the Exterior Beautification Project, however, they are hoping to replace the large west-facing windows in the children’s room. These windows have little to no caulking left on them and ice forms on the inside of the windows during the winter. It is the hope of the board to get these two windows replaced in 2012/2013.
Thank you for your patience during construction phases this summer. It is our intention to remain open during all of the parking lot construction. Please be aware of any signage indicating a temporary alternate entrance should we need to redirect our foot traffic through other areas, but we will continue to provide our services.
Cecelia Lawrence, Library Director