Thaddeus Foley and His Grand Victorian House

Written By: nppladmin - Feb• 12•21
Originally published to on February 12, 2021.

Today’s North Platte History series features a grand Victorian home that did not withstand the test of time. So sad that this beautiful home was torn down in 1925!

Thaddeus Foley was born in Ireland. Foley immigrated to America and arrived in New York. From New York, he went to Omaha, and then west to North Platte in 1869.

When he arrived in North Platte, he went into the general merchandise business with another original pioneer, A. J. Senter. Foley built a large brick building for his business interests on what was the north-west corner of 6th & Dewey Streets. That storefront would have been located in what is now the parking lot in front of the former Alco Discount Store. This business area was known as “Foley Block” and many advertisements would just say “located in the Foley block, with no address given!”. Foley also had a ranch and owned a large stock company on the North Loup and Snake Rivers. Foley and Senter were partners until 1882. In 1890, Foley was a part–owner in The Colorado-Nebraska Land and Canal Company (see Articles of Incorporation in the newspaper pictures).

Sometime between 1869 and 1892, Foley had a grand Victorian home built at 403 West 4th Street. Thaddeus and his wife Jennie, lived there. In 1890, they had a son, Gratton. Sadly, the baby boy died at age 18 months of diphtheria. His body was relocated to Kansas City in 1914 (see news article from April 24, 1914).

Before moving to Kansas City, Foley sold the home to attorney J. S. Hoaglund. This home would have been located on what is now the parking lot on the northwest corner of Willow and West 4th Streets (kitty corner from the Prairie Friends & Flowers Business).

There is a brief newspaper article from April 2, 1914 stating that the Foley’s were back to visit Ira Bare and his wife, before returning to Kansas City, to prepare to relocate to Boston.

The North Platte Tribune announced that the house was being torn done on Sept. 25, 1925. “The old J. S. Hoagland home on West Fourth Street was torn down this summer and the material cleared and piled up for use. From it Arthur Hoagland is building a six-room house on the rear of the lot. This he expects to occupy himself when it is completed. Then, when he can get to it, he is planning on putting a fine two-story apartment building on the other part of the lot which is extra wide. He thinks there is a demand here for more dwellings of this nature. The old house which stood on this corner has seen its best days and with the completion of the new buildings there will be a substantial improvement in the appearance of that part of the city.”

Thank you for reading and learning about our community history!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.