Employment January 10th, 2013
Assistant Library Director/Youth Services Librarian Position Opening
Full time – 40 hour week
Located at the crossroads of Nebraska highways 30 and 15, Schuyler Public Library provides services to a rural community of over 6,000 residents as well as to county residents. Schuyler is proud of its immigrant history and current immigrant growth and strives to meet the needs of its diverse population. Successful applicant will need to be aggressive and innovative in working with the community and partners in this environment.
Successful applicant is required by City personnel policy to reside within corporate limits of the City of Schuyler or within the City’s two-mile zoning jurisdiction.
Minimum Expectations, Responsibilities
• Initiate, coordinate, conduct, and evaluate all youth services activities. o Inform director at least once a week about plans for programs for youth. o Along with director, arrange schedule for programs and arrange for purchase of materials needed for activities. o Provide short written report on progress of planning or programs for youth at the end of every month. o Keep Excel spreadsheets with records of attendance at all activities. o Provide short written evaluation at the end of each particular program or season of programming. o Decorate Children’s Room (and) main room of the library to correspond to season or current programming.
• Provide circulation and reference services to all patrons. o Maintain confidentiality at all times. o Be willing to work in a team environment and provide direction to staff. o Check out materials to patrons from main desk. o Assist patrons in locating books or other materials. o Provide reader’s advisory service. o Assist patrons with research.
• Provide assistance with library technology in usage, basic maintenance, and networking. o Update computers on a weekly basis. o Assist other staff on an as-needed basis with technology questions. o Prepare and instruct computer classes.
• Assist with collection development. o Familiarity with children’s and young adult literature needed. o Make recommendations of titles to add to collection. o Place book orders.
• Share in writing of book reviews and newspaper column. o Prepare a minimum of one newspaper column per month.
• Accept responsibilities of the library in the director’s absence.
• Prepare staff schedule.
Other duties as assigned. This is not an all-inclusive list. It will be modified as community needs, staffing responsibilities, and work levels change.
How to Apply
|Send cover letter, resume, and completed City of Schuyler Application form to:email@example.com or to
MeMe Smith, Library Director Schuyler Public Library 1123 A St. Schuyler, NE 68661