[Applications currently closed, due to receiving enough to probably find our new Director among them already. Thank you!]
Valley Public Library in Valley, Nebraska is taking applications for the position of Library Director.
This is a three quarter-time position (30-35 hours per week) with benefits. Our open hours are MWF 10a-5p, TR 3p-8p, and Sat 10a-2p. This position requires working 4-5 days per week, including applicable evenings and Saturdays, depending on scheduling details.
Starting wage between $12 and $18 depending on qualifications.
There are no strict educational or work experience requirements for this position, but these would all be positive factors:
- Public service and/or team leadership experience in a library.
- Library education, including in-progress education.
- Public service and/or team leadership experience outside of libraries.
- Staff management for the three other library workers, including scheduling.
- Setting day-to-day operational procedures and policies, within library board policy.
- Reporting to and advising the library board on matters like suggested policy changes.
- Financial management of the library as the head of a City department, so direct involvement in purchases for the library but not areas like payroll.
- Collection development for all materials, except youth materials if you delegate this to the youth services librarian.
- Cataloging and technical services for new materials, except as delegated to the assistant librarian.
- Library promotion through a monthly newsletter, social media posts, news releases to the county newspaper, etc.
- Setting up adult programming. Supporting the youth services librarian with youth programming.
- Setting up displays and general tidying of the library as a physical space. Outside cleaners take care of typical custodial work.
- Direct public service to patrons of all ages, since the director’s desk is part of the circulation desk and you’ll likely be working alone a couple of days per week. This includes basic assistance with public computers, Wi-Fi access, and OverDrive.
- Other duties, as assigned by Library Board, Mayor, or City Council.
- Strong English communication skills to assist patrons who may have difficulty expressing themselves in person and on the telephone.
- Emotional intelligence and ability to cope with situations such as when patrons having a difficult time emotionally, are in conflict with other patrons, or are living with a mental illness.
- Reaching for books about two feet away from the inside of the circulation desk counter and handling them during check-out/check-in.
- User-level computer skills, e.g: document management, file transfer, email, and spreadsheets.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled, though we are trying to fill it by September 24th. Applications received by the August 31st will be looked at first. Call the current director, Garren Hochstetler, at (402) 359-9924 for more details.