Valley Public Library was founded by the Valley Woman’s Club in 1902 with a collection of 40 books. It now holds over 10,000 items, including books, magazines, audio books, DVDs, and microscope kits. The library has been housed in several of Valley’s historic buildings, including the Masonic building at 108 N. Spruce Street, the former home of Valley Floral at 223 N. Spruce Street, the 1924 high school building, and now stands at 232 N. Spruce Street.
The building’s history as a bank can be seen in authentic touches such as the safe deposit vault and brick interior walls. Patrons can browse books related to Valley’s and Nebraska’s past and present in the vault, which holds our Nebraska collection.
Librarians who have served in Valley in past years include Ida Knowlton, Mary McDonald, Anna Howard, Mabelle Peterson, MaryAnn Cernin, Nina Hill Little, and Marilyn Kirkwood.
Much has changed at the library over the years. It has gone from a quiet retreat for reading and studying to a busy community hub providing computers, internet access, and printing services. The underlying commitment to providing the community with information and resources for life-long learning remains constant, as does the support from members of the community.