Many, many thanks to everyone who attended the Oct. 15 Valparaiso Woman’s Club Style Show Salad Luncheon, bought quilt raffle tickets, contributed prizes, and contributed their energy, time, and talent to making it such a success. Special thanks to Jean Ang for the quilt!
My apologies if I have omitted anyone from appropriate mention below. Let me know and I will add your name.
This year’s event netted over $2300 for the library. The club sold 220 luncheon tickets and well over 1,000 raffle tickets and is determined to sell a lot more next year.
Cheryl Rieck managed the ticket sales. Cheryl Rieck and Maria Cadwallader served as Event Co-Chairs.
Jean Ang and Anona Trutna set up the display at the Saunders County Fair. They and Anna Brey, Michelle Gerdes, Shirley Hoffbauer, Jan Hygnstrom, Darlene Kliment, Rose Komenda, Jean Lentz, Cheryl Ludvik, Jackie Maly, LuAnn Maly, Carol Masek, Vernie Masek, Irma Nord, Cheryl Reick, Esther Ryan, and Julie Tvrdy staffed the display July 27, 28, 29, and 30. Jackie Maly and Jan Hygnstrom also took the display down.
Woman’s Club members sold tickets individually after the fair, and tickets were available at the Bank and Library. Sue Swenson, Lavern Souchek, Susan Feely, Shannon Novotny, and Michelle Gerdes collected and sold luncheon and raffle tickets at the door.
The luncheon featured myriad types of salads, from green salads and meat salads and fruit salads to all sorts of salad desserts; sweetbreads; ham and chicken sandwiches; and coffee and tea. Woman’s Club members made and donated everything.
Many many thanks to Jean Ohnoutka for managing the kitchen and to the at least 26 people who helped set up the food, serve, and clean up afterward.
Thanks also to Jan Hygnstrom, Cheryl Ludvik, Julie Masek, Bryan Masek, Esther Ryan, Don Suchy, and Dean Cadwallader for setting up the stage and the tables and chairs on Thursday night.
Club members decorated 36 tables, each with its own theme. Cheryl Ludvik and Esther Ryan coordinated the decorating. The women who attended the luncheon came early and spent a lot of time touring the room and admiring the decorations. This year, the library table’s theme was “Go Big Read.”
Those who decorated tables included:
Jean Ang Maria Cadwallader (2) Dana Cotter
Jean Danley Karrie Donahue Michelle Gerdes
Becky Gould Harriet Gould Becky Grant
Shirley Hoffbauer Jan Hygnstrom (2) Miranda Kliment
Sheila Isaacson (Library table) Cheryl Ludvik (3) Jackie Maly
LuAnn Maly (2) Jenny Masek Julie Masek (2)
Vernie Masek Alyce Matulka Erma Nord
Cheryl Novacek Shannon Novotny Carolee Quinlan
Cheryl Rieck (2) Esther Ryan Sue Swenson
Anona Trutna Monica Tvrdy
The program started with a welcome, followed by the luncheon, the style show, and drawings for the raffle and door prizes. Harriet Gould served as MC. Sara Ludvik made the programs.
For the style show, Woman’s Club members (and daughters and granddaughters) modeled a wide selection of clothes from the winter line at Lincoln’s The Vickerage in Havelock. Harriet Gould coordinated the modeling.
The models included:
Jean Ang Jean Danley Amanda Hilger
Miranda Kliment Jean Lentz LuAnn Maly
Courtney Masek Alyce Matulka Diane Matulka
Samantha Matulka Erma Nord Cheryl Novacek
Chery Rieck Monica Tvrdy
Raffle and Door Prize Winners
Norm Kavan from Wahoo won the gorgeous quilt. Jean Ang, long-time Woman’s Club member, donated the supplies and contributed her time and her very considerable talent to make the quilt for this event. Jean has been designing and making the quilts for this fund-raiser since 1982 and has done all the work on her own for the past four years.
Jean Lentz won one of the runners and Valparaiso Public Library Director Maria Cadwallader won the other, both of which Jean Ang also made and donated. Maria’s runner is on display at the library indefinitely.
Many people won door prizes contributed by vendors and individuals not only from the Valparaiso area but also from Ceresco, Lincoln, Kearney, and Raymond. Many thanks to Mary Buresh for contacting the potential donors, collecting their donations, and keeping everything organized for the drawings.
The donors and prizes included:
- Amigo’s, Lincoln – 2 gift cards
- Applebee’s (Concord), Lincoln – 2 gift certificates
- Jean Ang, Lincoln (formerly Valparaiso; Woman’s Club) – 2 quilted wall hangings
- Benes Heating & Air, Valparaiso – Battery charger
- Geri Bordovski, Valparaiso – 4 gift baskets and a tin of cookies
- Burger King (Horizon Holding, Inc.), Lincoln – 4 Value Meal cards
- Carlos O’Kelly’s, Lincoln – $10 gift certificate
- Char’s, Valparaiso – 2 hair products gift bags
- Chili’s Grill & Bar, Lincoln – 3, $5 gift certificates
- Cici’s Pizza, Lincoln – 5 gift cards
- Cornhusker Bank, Lincoln – Blanket
- Cuts & More, Valparaiso – Curling iron; Halloween decoration
- Danielson Floral, Lincoln – Silk floral arrangement
- Ernie’s In Ceresco, Ceresco – Kitchen knife set
- Famous Dave’s, Lincoln – 2 BBQ sauces, 2 seasonings
- Harry’s Restaurant, Valparaiso – 2 gift certificates
- Hy-Vee Food Store, Lincoln – $10 gift card
- Juice Stop, Lincoln – 2 gift certificates
- Julee’s Stained Glass, Lincoln – Stained glass angel
- Martin’s Hillside Orchard, Ceresco – Apples
- Mill Road Auto Service, Raymond – 2 gift certificates
- Morris Press Cookbooks, Kearney – 5 cookbooks
- Nelson Oil, Valparaiso – Pair of painted pots
- Oak Creek Valley Bank, Valparaiso – $35 gift certificate
- Oak Valley Lumber, Valparaiso – Sterlite storage set
- Old Chicago (Rock Bottom, Inc.), Lincoln – $25 gift card
- Panera Bread, Lincoln – Bread certificate
- Randolph Car Wash, Lincoln – 2 car wash certificates
- Raymona’s Pizza Plus, Hwy 79 near Raymond – 2 gift certificates
- Red Lobster Restaurants, Lincoln – 5, $5 gift certificates
- Runza, Lincoln – 5 combo meal certificates
- Shear Paradise, Valparaiso – $20 gift certificate
- Sonic Drive In, Lincoln – 5 gift cards
- Subway, Highlands, Lincoln – $10 gift certificate
- Telesis, Inc., Lincoln – T shirt, $15 gift card, one 5-gallon keg
- Texas Road House, Lincoln – $30 gift certificate
- Treehouse Daycare, Hwy 79 near Raymond – Porcelain angel; children’s digital camcorder
- Monica Tvrdy, Valparaiso – 2 $10 Beauticentral certificates
- Tvrdy’s One Stop, Valparaiso – Fall candle
- Valparaiso Woman’s Club, Valparaiso – 5 cookbooks
- Val Market, Valparaiso – $10 gift certificate
- Val Tavern, Valparaiso – Dinner gift certificate
- The Vickeridge, Lincoln – 3 gift certificates