Yutan Public Library
Patron Behavior Policy (Approved October 2016)
To ensure that all people who use and work at the Yutan Public Library can do so in a comfortable and safe environment, the Yutan Public Library reserves the right to determine what it considers to be disruptive or inappropriate behavior by the patrons in the Library. In order to ensure that every patron has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of the Library, patrons visiting or using the Library’s facilities or services must comply with the Yutan Public Library Policy, Behavior in the Library – Patrons while on the Library’s premises.
Dangerous, destructive or illegal conduct, including but not limited to the following, will not be tolerated:
• Physical abuse or assault, including fighting or challenging others to fight;
• Engaging in intimidating or harassing behaviors, including following or stalking other patrons or Library staff, leering at others;
• Making violent or threatening statements to others; and
• Damaging, destroying, stealing, or otherwise vandalizing Library property.
Any patron engaging in one or more of the above behaviors will be instructed to leave the Library immediately and may have his or her Library privileges suspended for a period of up to one (1) year depending on the severity of the violation. In addition, law enforcement may be called and appropriate legal action may follow.
The following behaviors are also prohibited:
• Using harassing, obscene, abusive, or insulting language or gestures.
• Leaving children under the age of eight unattended by a parent, guardian, or caregiver.
• Annoying other patrons by talking, gesturing, or otherwise interfering with their ability to read, study, contemplate, or otherwise use the Library.
• Interfering with Library staff’s performance of their duties.
• Eating or drinking in the carpeted area of the Library except for bottled water with a secure top. However, bottled water is prohibited at the computer station.
• Possessing, consuming, exchanging, selling, or being under the influence of illegal drugs.
• Lying on the floor or sleeping.
• Using the public restrooms in any manner that is not usual or customary, including laundering or bathing.
• Failing to wear a shirt, top, pants, skirt, or shoes.
• Making loud or unreasonable noise, including but not limited to the use of electronic equipment or mobile telephones at a volume that disturbs others. Ringer volumes should be set to silent or vibrate.
• Carrying weapons of any type.
• Petitioning, soliciting, or selling merchandise or services including the distribution of handbills or flyers.
• Refusal to follow reasonable direction from Library staff, including but not limited to leaving the Library during normal closing procedures or following a suspension of Library privileges or refusing to evacuate during an emergency.
Engaging in any of the above behaviors may result in one or more of the following consequences, depending on the severity of the violation:
• Initial warning, given copy of Behavior in the Library – Patrons.
• Library privileges suspended for one day.
• Library privileges suspended for seven days.
• Library privileges suspended for up to one year.
Patrons who are suspended from the Library for a period exceeding one day may petition to have their suspension reviewed by the Director.
Please inform Library staff if you observe anyone behaving in a suspicious or inappropriate manner.
CODE OF CONDUCT:
Use inside voice
Follow librarian’s directions
Respect library property