Hastings Memorial Library Patron Behavior Policy
The Hastings Memorial Library is committed to promoting an enjoyable and safe environment where patrons and staff can fully benefit from and utilize the library’s resources and services. We expect patrons to behave responsibly, respectfully, and with consideration for others. Disruptive behavior is prohibited and will not be tolerated. Disruptive behavior may include but is not limited to: running; obscene, abusive, threating, or intimidating language or behavior; staring at or following another person; talking loudly to oneself or others; excessive public displays of affection; or engaging in any other behavior which library staff may interpret as disturbing and offensive to themselves, other patrons, and/or the library environment. The following guidelines must be honored:
- Weapons and explosives are prohibited on library property.
- Physically abusing or assaulting other patrons or staff is prohibited.
- Speaking should be kept to normal conversational levels. Audio equipment shall not be audible to other people. Cell phone ringers should be off. Cell phone conversations should be kept to a minimum or taken outside the building.
- Persons whose bodily hygiene or odor is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons and/or library staff shall be required to leave the building.
- Appropriate attire should be worn when using the library. (Shirt, shoes, etc…)
- Destruction of property (whether belonging to staff or patrons, or to the library building) is prohibited.
- Sleeping in the library is prohibited. If staff members are unable to wake up or determine the health of a patron, an ambulance may be called.
- All children 9 years or younger shall, at all times, be attended and adequately supervised by a responsible adult or designated caregiver. (See Children’s Policy for more information.)
- Limited snacking is allowed, but food or beverages should not create a mess or disturb other patrons. No food or drink is allowed in the computer room. The limitation or restriction of food and drink in the library will be at the discretion of library staff.
- The use of tobacco products and smoking in any form, including electronic cigarettes, is only permitted outside in designated areas. Use of alcohol or illegal drugs is prohibited. Patrons showing signs of drunkenness or drug abuse will be asked to leave the premises immediately and authorities may be called.
- No soliciting or selling items without prior approval of the library director.
- Compliance with the Public Internet and Computer Acceptable Use Policy is mandatory.
- Distribution of or posting of any printed material except through authorized library procedures is prohibited.
- Violation of any federal, state, or local law or ordinance is prohibited.
Any person not complying with these guidelines shall be asked to leave the library premises and may receive a temporary or permanent ban from future library use. Patrons temporarily or permanently banned from the library may appeal this decision by contacting the Library Director at least one week before the next regular meeting of the Hastings Memorial Library Board of Trustees. The patron making the appeal should attend the Library Board meeting when the matter is on the agenda.