SELS Scholarship Guidelines
The Southeast Library System provides scholarships to pay for registration or travel costs for continuing education events and/or course work in library science.
- Applicants must be residents of the area served by the Southeast Library System or work in a library within the System.
- Preference is given to those who have not ever received a scholarship from SELS in the past, and to first-time attendees at the event requested.
- First priority is given to applications for in-state events, including the NLA/NSLA annual conference or System sponsored events (SELS must at least be one of the sponsors). Examples include the Training Extravaganza, the Youth Retreat, the Summer Reading program, etc.
- Second priority is given to regional or national conferences, such as ALA or MPLA.
- Third priority is given to academic courses that have a direct impact on the applicant’s job.
- The maximum amount to be awarded to an individual is $200 per application.
- The money is to be used for registration and/or travel fees.
- Recipients are expected to report back on their experience and possibly write a short blurb for the system newsletter about the event (if applicable)
- Print out and complete the scholarship form [SELS Scholarship Form]
- Write a brief (one or two paragraphs) on the benefit you or your library will gain from your attendance at the event or course
- Send both to the SELS office