2020 Assistant Director
Webermeier Memorial Library
617 2nd St.
Milford, NE 68405
July 1, 2020 –June 30th 2021
JOB TITLE: Assistant Director
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction and supervision of the Library Director, the Assistant Director performs customer service, clerical and technical library service in circulation, reference, cataloging and children’s library work, and directs and supervises the Library Clerk in the absence of the Director or when needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This list provides an overview for the position but is not limited to the items presented. The successful candidate is expected to perform other work related duties as required.
- Opens and closes library when scheduled
- Work hours as scheduled including Saturday
- Works for Library Director as needed
- Works Clerk’s hours including evenings if needed
- Attends workshops
- Light cleaning including bathrooms
- Starting and shutting down circulation computer
- Checking materials in and out
- Renewing materials requested in person or by phone requests
- Printing overdue notices
- Assists in locating requested materials
- Demonstrates knowledge of and assists in the use of reference sources
- Helps answer reference questions by phone or in person
- Telephones to inform patrons of reserved items
- Collects overdue fines from patrons
- Helps with Story Time and reading program
- Provides information on library activities, facilities, rules and services
- Supervises and monitors patrons’ computer usage
- Work copy/fax machine and assist with printing
- Shelves all types of materials
- Shelf reads and straightens (while shelving and at other times as needed)
- Processes new materials for circulation (books, audio/visual media, periodicals)
- Repairs damaged library materials
- Assists in examining materials to be selected, replaced or discarded
- Plans and carries out special projects such as library displays or promotion
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or GED plus two years library clerical experience preferred. Life experience will be considered.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: The following skills and abilities are necessary for this position but are not limited to those stated. The successful candidate will be expected to perform additional related work as required.
- Knowledge of basic library practices and reference tools
- Ability to alphabetize accurately
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with the public, including children
- Ability to supervise staff members when necessary
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings as needed and to fill in for coworkers when necessary
- Keyboarding skills, including the ability to type accurately.
- Ability to lift items up to 40 pounds, to use step stools for higher shelves, stoop or kneel for lower shelves.