What is Nebraska Libraries on the Web?
Through this project, the Nebraska Library Commission will help your public library set up a free website. We use WordPress to make the website easier to set up and maintain.
A website is a great way to get the word out about your library’s upcoming events, featured materials, and other services. You can also use it to offer digital services to those who can’t make it to the physical library location. The possibilities are endless.
We are happy to provide over the phone or online training materials to any library staff who will be working with the website. Interested library directors can fill out the contact form for more information, or to sign up.
How Can the Library Commission Help?
- Train library staff on WordPress (over the phone, online, and in person with larger groups)
- Brainstorming content ideas for the website
- Troubleshooting when things go wrong
- Run the server that houses WordPress and backs up content
- Update WordPress as needed
- Run nightly backups of content
- Help find and install additional features to your website
What Can We Put on Our Library’s Website?
WordPress uses pre-built themes that can be changed or customized. The content and images are up to you! We can help if you need ideas. Here are some popular items many libraries put on their site:
- Hours and Location
- Contact Information
- Online Catalog
- Featured/ New Books
- Library Services
- Nebraska Resource Links
- Policy Information
- Events Calendar
- Library Blog!
- Local Community Resources
- Consult Your Imagination
The administrator and technical contact is Amanda Sweet, Technology Innovation Librarian. Feel free to contact her if you have any questions:
Technology Innovation Librarian
Nebraska Library Commission
The Atrium, 1200 N Street, Suite 120
Lincoln, NE 68508-2023
800-307-2665 (NE only)