What Are Friends For?
Organized in 1992, the Friends of the Holdrege Area Public Library are people who comprise a non-profit volunteer group committed to promoting excellent library service. Friends support the library in several ways, through advocacy, fund raising and volunteer work. Advocacy is the most important role for the membership of our Friends group. As you go through your day, you have many opportunities to remind others of the many services offered by the library and to help others to understand the vital role the library plays in the intellectual and social life of the community. Fund raising is accomplished through the collection of dues and donations, by book sales and an annual bake sale during Swedish Days, among other efforts. Volunteers give their time to perform needed jobs in the library. They mend damaged books, sort books for the book sales, assemble Summer Reading packets, staff the BookFest and bake sale efforts, and other special projects.
The Friends of HAPL invite you to participate in their activities. As a member, you can take pride in:
- Helping to support the library in developing its services and facilities for the community
- Have the opportunity to volunteer at library programs and behind-the-scenes library activities
- Enjoy the fellowship of other Friends at social events and service projects
Friends’ Sponsored Activities and Gifts
- New Life to Smilin’ Sam Smoke
- Front Desk Reference Shelving
- Restroom Air Fresheners
- Public Bench at Entrance
- Flower Beds
- Digital Projector
- TV in Children’s Library with Reading Rainbow Episodes
- Theater-Style Popcorn Popper for Library Events
- Playstation 2 with Guitar Hero, Dance Dance Revolution and Battlefront
- Security Door Locks in Children’s Library
Be A Friend!
A Friends membership is an affordable investment in your community. We have several levels of membership. If you elect the basic Friend level, we may call you for assistance on various projects. However, we understand that for a variety of reasons, people may want to support the library, but not have the time to be an active participant. The Patron level membership is for you!
Individual Friend – $10.00/year
Family of Friends – $20.00/year
Patron of the Library – $20.00/year
Family of Patrons – $30.00/year