What Are Friends For?
Organized in 1992, the Holdrege Area Friends of the Library is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. It comprises individuals from all walks of life united in support of the Holdrege Area Public Library and excellent library service.
Friends support the library in several ways: through advocacy, fundraising, and volunteer work.
- Advocate the importance of the library in the community.
- Educate patrons and the community about library resources.
- Collect, sort, and price material donations.
- Organize and staff book sales and other special events.
- Assemble summer reading packets.
- Use monetary donations to augment the Library’s collections of books, materials, and resources.
- Front desk reference shelving
- Public bench at the entrance
- Digital projector
- Theater-style popcorn popper for events
- Children’s Library furniture
- Stainless steel bookdrop
- Sensory tiles for Storytime in Children’s Library
- Produce exchange program (to go with the Library’s seed project)
- Window Blinds throughout the Library
- Subscription to Book Page magazine for Library
- New book ends throughout the Library
- Recycling services
- Annual book sale
- Sponsorship of the Summer Reading Program
- Hosting Friends of the Library Week at HAPL (which can include cookies, book giveaways, and librarian Thank-you gifts)
- Dr. Suess’s Birthday party
- Super Hero story time
- Various book giveaways, especially around Halloween and Christmas
- A virtual book auction
- Free book kiosks at 4th Avenue Coffee and Lost Way Brewery
A Friends membership is an affordable investment in your community and we have several levels of membership to choose from.
For more information about membership levels and how to join, view our membership brochure.
If you’d like to donate gently used materials to the Friends, click here to find out what is accepted.