The original Tekamah Public Library building was dedicated on October 25, 1916. It is one of 69 Carnegie Libraries that were built in Nebraska. Tekamah Public Library was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 2005.
In 2013, a large addition was built on the south side of the original building. The entire interior was renovated, an elevator was added, and the former children’s library was converted into a public meeting space. In 2017, the Tekamah Public Library Foundation donated the funds to have the landscaping rejuvenated.