We are one of four non-profit corporations partnering with the Nebraska Library Commission to provide access to improved library services through the cooperation of all types of libraries and media centers within the counties included in each System area. Prior to January 1, 2015, there were six systems. Three Rivers Library System is the result of a merger between Eastern Library System and Northeast Library System.
The purpose of the Three Rivers Library System is:
- to provide a mechanism for development of cooperative programs among libraries and communities to address library service needs;
- to work with the Nebraska Library Commission and libraries to improve local and regional service development; and
- to promote and enhance libraries and library services within the regional system area. This will primarily be accomplished through training and consulting in areas identified by the NLC including strategic planning, public library accreditation, trustee/library board certification, public librarian certification, children and young adult services, technology development and training, access to electronic books, online library catalogs, licensed databases, library personnel management, library services for multicultural/diverse populations, Basic Skills classes, and other initiatives of the NLC.
Our Service Area
The twenty-one counties within the Three Rivers Library System region are:
Antelope, Boone, Burt, Cass, Cedar, Colfax, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Dodge, Douglas, Knox, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Sarpy, Stanton, Thurston, Washington, and Wayne.
TRLS covers 11,199 square miles and serves a population of roughly 1,014,608. That includes 600 public libraries, school library/media centers, academic libraries and special or institutional libraries.
Our Board of Directors
Our board of directors is composed of representatives elected from the TRaiLS service area. Our board of directors for 2021-2022 is:
- President: Rosa Schmidt, Oakland Public Library
- Vice President: Crys Bauermeister, Pierce High School
- Secretary: Lisa Macke, Creighton Public Library
- Treasurer: Dave Graber, Wayne State College
Active Board Members:
- Mary Jo Mack, John A Stahl Library
- Gretchen Long, Omaha Nation Public Schools
- Jessica Chamberlain, Norfolk Public Library
- Bob Parsons, Laurel Community Learning Center
- Kathy Stender, Leigh Public Library
To check out previous Annual Meeting Reports as well as other information that might be useful to our librarians, check out our ever evolving folder of info at: http://bit.ly/DigitalHandouts