We invite all families to join the Library’s 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program for all children from newborn to just entering Kindergarten.
Reading aloud to your child is the most important activity you can do to prepare your child to learn to read and love it! Studies have shown that families who start reading aloud to their children at birth help strengthen their language skills and build vocabulary. Create a special bond by sharing a love of books!
How to read 1,000 books:
The concept is simple! You can do it!
- Read 1 book a day for 3 years =1,095
- Read 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095
- Read at your own pace to 1,000 books
Any reading counts. Read the same book over and over, listen to an audiobook, attend a Story Time program, or read an E-book. Any book your child listens to can be recorded.
How to get started:
- Register by downloading the Reader’s Zone app on Google Play, App Store or Amazon Apps, whichever your device uses. To join the program use our special code: or3eo. The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program will pop up as a choice. Please follow the directions to join.
- Or register at the library and pick up a printed reading log. Stop by to see us.
- Track your reading for special awards along the way. When a child reaches 100 books come to the library to receive a special bag. Read 500 books and get a brand new book. When a child reaches 1,000 books come to the library to celebrate! He or she will receive a special gift, certificate of success, and go on the “1000 Books Read Wall of Fame.”
The program finishes when the child has read 1,000 books or begins Kindergarten.