NEW! The Polk County Historical Society has spearheaded a project to digitize all Polk County newspapers. Currently, you can search the Osceola Record, the Headlight, the Shelby Sun, the Polk Progress, the Polk County Democrat, and the Stromsburg Weekly News. The earliest papers begin in 1873 and are digitized up 1965. You can find the records at http://polkcountyne.advantage-preservation.com/
Genealogy Requests (See full policy under About Us -> Library Policies)
1. A charge of $5 per item will be imposed on obituary requests. Specific dates are required. A charge of $10 per item will be assessed for other types of research requests.
2. Advanced payment is required after library staff agrees to research submitted requests.
3. Library staff limits individuals to six (6) requests.
The Stromsburg Public Library has a collection of unique history and genealogy books available for your family history search. Please visit our ON-LINE CATALOG to search for your specific needs.
The Genealogy Club meets in the Stromsburg Public Library meeting room the last Tuesday of each month at 7 pm. For more information call the library.
Stromsburg Newspapers on Microfilm — The Stromsburg Public Library has available on microfilm previous issues of newspapers printed in Stromsburg, Nebraska. The following newspaper copies are in the library:
- The Osceola Record – 08/27/1873 through 06/05/1894
- The Polk Progress – 08/19/1909 through 06/30/1938
- The Stromsburg Headlight – 10/01/1885 through 12/31/1993
- The Polk County News – 01/01/1994 through 06/24/1999
- The Stromsburg News, The Stromsburg Republican, and The Stromsburg Weekly: 07/25/1890 through 11/21/1918
Additional research may be requested of other local residents privately and under terms agreeable to both parties. Contacts include: