In an effort to provide the best service possible and give everyone the opportunity to borrow quality books and movies, the following policies are provided for you.
1. All patrons are required to have contact information on file in the library. The library will conduct annual verification; at that time patrons are required to update changes (if any) to their contact information.
2. Book checkout will be for three weeks. Renewal by phone is allowed if there is not a waiting list. Books will not be checked out longer than six weeks by any one patron. Children under the age of ten will only be allowed to check out one book at a time unless accompanied by the parent/guardian, or has a note on file from the parent/guardian. This note will be kept on file until revoked by the parent/guardian.
3. DVDs are for loan at the library. DVD check-out will be for one week only. All discs will be examined upon checkout and return, noting existing conditions. Patrons who return DVDs with scratches that prohibit play are expected to pay the replacement cost of the DVD, plus the $5.00 restocking fee; this is not negotiable. There are no extensions on DVDs.
4. Items from the library are loaned in good condition and are expected to be returned that way. Patrons who so damage the item that renders a book unreadable (i.e. scribbled on, torn, or missing pages; missing, torn, or scribbled on covers) or a movie unplayable (scratched, broken, etc.) will pay the replacement value of said item, plus a $5.00 restocking fee. Parents/guardians of patrons under the age of 13 assume responsibility for items checked out by their children. All items have the price written on the loan sleeve; this is not negotiable.
5. Books and DVDs not returned by the due date will accrue fines of .15 cents per day, up to 30 days, until returned. (See item 6) As a courtesy, the library will attempt call you on the due date if possible; regardless, the patron is responsible to return items to the library on time. If items are returned late on more than one occasion, the director can choose to limit or cease library privileges.
6. Items not returned within 30 days of the due date are considered ‘lost or stolen’ and the total replacement value of the items, plus a $5.00 restocking fee per item, will be charged to the patron. Even if the items are returned after 30 days, the full payment will still be due. A letter will be sent to parents of a minor patron when the loaned item is 30 days overdue; full attention is expected in this matter. Library patrons who have overdue items and have not paid the fine are prohibited from checking out any materials from the library until the fine is paid in full.
7. While we do try to check out age-appropriate material to children, it is not the responsibility of the library to monitor what books young patrons check out. If the parent/guardian wishes to place restrictions on the material their children check out, the parent/guardian must come to speak with the Director in person. A note will be kept on file and the Director can then make check outs adhering to the parent/guardian guidelines.
8. It is not the responsibility of the library to monitor which internet sites patrons under the age of 18 visit. It is recommended that parents/guardians set their own guidelines for computer use at the library. The website www.commonsensemedia.org is available and has great family tip sheets for different age groups. All computer users are reminded they are responsible for observing all federal and state laws including copyright law, and for independently verifying any information obtained through the internet. Although it is legal for patrons over the age of 18 to visit a variety of websites, any patron visiting a site that is not appropriate for all ages in the library will be asked to quit viewing that site.
9. During inclement weather, the library will be closed if schools and businesses in the area are closed, or if travel is hazardous. Please call the library during inclement weather before you set out; I usually arrive about an hour before we open. If I’m not here at opening time, the library is closed.
10. The library is, by design, meant to be a relatively quiet environment. Even though headsets are used, please do not have the volume on your website up so loud as to be heard plainly by others. Additionally, please silence all cell phones when in the library.