This year our summer reading program will have a different look. The theme for the 2020 Summer Reading Program is “Imagine Your Story” which features fantasy and fairy tales. In lieu of story time and activity time we will be offering take home packets with crafts, links to read aloud stories and snacks. If you want your child to participate in summer reading please take a few minutes to fill out a form that is posted on our website http://libraries.ne. gov/elgin or our face book page. We will also be offering a summer reading challenge using an online app Reader Zone. This is a free app to install and it will be the way you will keep track of all your reading minutes. The library will have access to all your reading minutes and award prizes accordingly. Summer reading will start on June 8 and run through July 3. Participants need to be signed up by June 5, 2020.
The Traveling Boutique
Will be coming to
Elgin Public Library Parking lot
Saturday, June 6
10:00 am to 12:00
Come check it out!
Elgin Public Library will open for public use on Wednesday, May13. There will be certain restrictions in place at that time. We will continue to offer call in and curbside service for those who do not feel comfortable coming into the library.
* The library hours will remain the same. Wednesday’s hours will continue to be from 1:00 to 5:00. All other hours will be the same.
* Items returned to the library should continue to be placed in the drop box before entering the building. We do not want them brought to the circulation desk.
* Children may come in to check out books. They will not be able to linger and play.
* The use of hand sanitizer, limiting the number of people in the library, wearing masks, quarantining of material, and social distancing will be other safety measures in effect.
We are anxious to see our patrons and hope that we will soon be able to remove the restrictions.
Bored?? Need something to pass the time during these “stay at home” days? The Elgin Public Library has a variety of 500 to 1000 piece puzzles that can help you or your kids stay busy during this time. Just call ahead (402-843-2460) and we can set some out for you to pick up. We have extended our due dates so don’t worry about getting it returned “on time”!
Due to the COVID-19 virus the Elgin Public Library will be closing its doors as of April 1, 2020 until further notice. Books will still be available. Please call 843-2460 and talk to Barb or Dianne during regular library hours or leave a message and they will get back to you. During this time there will be limited delivery available or curbside pickups. Please check our website http://libraries.ne.gov/elgin for updates and book availability (there is a link to our online catalog on the website). Thank you for your understanding.
EBSCO Learning Express understands the need for high-quality e-learning resources during this time of social distancing and remote learning. That’s why they are making this special offer to Nebraska libraries: FREE access to their complete line of learning products, for public, college, and school libraries. This free access will run through June 30, 2020.
Learning Express products offer powerful resources including practice tests, tutorials, e-books, articles, and flashcards to help students of all ages:
- Improve core skills in English language arts, math and science, social studies and computers
- Prepare for AP®, SAT®, ACT®, and other college entrance exams
- Prepare for military entrance tests (ASVAB, CFAT)
- Explore colleges and careers
- Prepare for occupational certification tests (e.g., allied health, nursing, teaching, and many more)
The link below will enable patrons to access Learning Express Library and Prep STEP. Patrons will need to register for an account using an email address and password. This will allow them to save their progress.
Following this link takes you to the Welcome to Learning Express page. Click on “Public Library” to browse the Learning Express Library® modules; click on “College Library” to browse the Prep STEP® modules.
Learning Express Library modules include: Career Preparation / High School Equivalency Center / College Admissions Test Preparation / School Center [Curriculum support for elementary, middle, and high school students] / College Students / Adult Core Skills / Recursos Para Hispanohablantes.
Prep STEP modules include: Core Math and Science Skills / Core English Skills / College Success Skills / Career Preparation / Basic Computer Skills / Grad School Admissions Preparation / Placement Test Preparation / Recursos Para Hispanohablantes.
Schools and libraries are navigating unchartered territory right now, and we want to help any way we can.
One thing we can do is make sure that no child will be without access to books while schools are closed. MidAmerica books is giving FREE access to all of their eBooks and databases through June, 2020.
Below are several links to access the free library books. We encourage students, teachers, and parents to check them out.
Elementary Digital Bookshelf PreK-8
Secondary Digital Bookshelf 5-12
ABDO Research Database
Elgin Public Library will be closed today, March 20. Stay warm and safe.
At this time we will remain open with the following restrictions:
- Our hours will remain the same except on Wednesdays which will now be from 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 p. m. No evening hours!
- Please do not send children to the library as an alternative to no school. They will be asked to leave. However, we welcome them to check out books!
- Children under age of 10 will only be allowed to use a computer with parental supervision. This should be for schoolwork only.
- No toys will be available for small children at this time
- If patrons feel more comfortable we encourage them to use our online catalog which can be found on our website at http://libraries.ne.gov/elgin/. It is listed under “links”. When you search for the item you are looking for it will tell if it is available or not.
- Even though we are currently open if you would like to call and have us pull books in advance or delivered we would be happy to do so.
THESE RESTRICTIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!!!!!
The library recently started a “Book Bag” program in conjunction with the local daycare providers in Elgin. A book bag of children’s books is provided for the daycare and is exchanged on a weekly basis. At this time three daycare providers are participating in the program.