Equipment, Services and Book Sets
The Western Library System has many resources available for loan. Most items are checked-out for three weeks. Contact the WLS office if you wish to reserve resources and equipment. Items may be picked up from the WLS office, shipped via USPS, or hand delivered by WLS staff. The Western Library System will pay the postage to mail it to your library & your library is responsible for the return postage. Some items require insurance for shipping, and some valuable or very heavy items we will not place in the mail. If you would like WLS staff to deliver your materials, please make advance reservations.
- Cover One Book Repair System: This binding repair machine can fix a variety of types and sizes of books up to a 2 ½ ” thick book. It will also work with legal size as well as regular 8½ x 11″ size items and paperbacks. Repaired books will be ready to use in just 20 minutes. Cost is 50¢ per book. You must bring your own books into the WLS office and make your own repairs there. Go to http://www.coverone.net/ and click on the link for Book Repair Demo on the left-hand side of the page to see it in action.
- Binding Machine (Docubind P100): create impressive looking reports, proposals, manuals, or directories with this plastic comb presentation binding system.
- Follett Inventory Scanners: Follett Panther allows you to circulate books or take inventory from anywhere. It is compatible with Follett software only. This scanner works with Follett Destiny & Circulation Plus/Catalog Plus. The Panther connects to your Windows Desktop or Laptop using Microsoft’s ActiveSync software to allow seamless upload of data from your Panther into Circ/Cat.
- Microphone Speaker System
- Epson Projector
- EcoSmart Disc Repair Machine: WLS will repair or clean your CDs/DVDs with our disc repair system. WLS will repair the first 10 discs free of charge per fiscal year. Starting with the 11th disc, you will be charged .50 cents per disc. Please mail or drop of your discs at the WLS office.
- Makey Makey: WLS has one Invention Kit that may be checked out on a first-come, first-serve basis for programs, events and library training. System members may borrow the kit at no cost for up to two weeks. Contact the WLS office to reserve the kit.
- Breakout EDU kits: WLS has two kits that may be checked out on a first-come, first-serve basis for programs, events, and library training. System members may borrow the kits at no cost for up to two weeks. A loan agreement must be signed and delivery arrangements will be made at the time of the reservation. Each kit is capable of 350 games geared for all ages. Visit www.breakoutedu.com/games for lots of helpful information. Contact the WLS office to reserve a kit.
- Professional Journals: You may borrow a specific issue, or receive the journal on a rotating basis by signing-up for the WLS journal rotation. WLS subscribes to American Libraries, Library Journal, School Library Journal, and Booklist.
- DVD Checkout Service: WLS has 407 DVDs on their shelves. You may check out 20 DVDs of your choosing to borrow up to 90 days. We will mail the DVDs to your library and you will be responsible for the postage of mailing them back within the 90 days. Any library has the option to stop by the office for the pick up or drop off of the DVDs. Contact the WLS office for a current list of the DVDs showing what is checked out or use this link: http://libraries.ne.gov/wls/dvds/ just to view the whole list. Contact the WLS office with your choices to check out.
- Consulting: The Western Library System Coordinator is available to work individually with library staff, boards, school media specialists and other members on any aspect of library service. Through on-site visits, phone calls and email, the Coordinator assists members to resolve problems, assess needs, and enhance programs.
- Planning and Development: The Western Library System provides assistance with the development of library plans, encourages partnerships, makes information available about funding opportunities, and supports library staff and boards as they seek innovative ways to meet the needs of their communities.
- Online Mailing List: Join the WLS mailing list to receive timely library and System news, information, and updates. Any member librarian, library trustee, or media specialist may subscribe to the list at: WLS-L@nlc.state.ne.us.
- Scholarships: The Western Library System Board established a scholarship fund to facilitate professional development. Librarians, Media Specialists, Board Members, Trustees, and any other people involved in library service in the Western Library System may use monies in the fund for attendance at professional meetings, classes, workshops, or other beneficial academic activities. To apply for a WLS Scholarship submit a Scholarship Application and letter.
- Training: WLS provides workshops and individual training on topics of interest to librarians, media specialists, and library trustees. Contact the System office to request or schedule a training session.
Reference – Online http://nebraskaccess.nebraska.gov/
- Nebraska Memories –http://memories.nebraska.gov/
Book Sets – Contact the WLS office to check out any books
THIS BLESSED EARTH by Ted Genoways
A year in the life of an American Family Farm. Rick Hammond grew up on a farm, and for forty years he has raised cattle and crops on his wife’s fifth-generation homestead in Nebraska, in hopes of passing it on to their four children. But as the handoff nears, their small family farm and their entire way of life are under siege. The question is: can the family farm survive today in America? 10 copies
if I stay by Gayle Forman Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left – the most important decision she’ll ever make. 12 copies
Nebraska Presence: An Anthology of Poetry edited by Greg Kosmicki and Mary K. Stillwell. Nebraska Presence includes poems by more than 80 contemporary Nebraska poets, including Pulitzer Prize winner and former Poet Laureate of the United States Ted Kooser, Nebraska State Poet Twyla Hansen, former State Poet William Kloefkorn, and many others. 2018 One Book One Nebraska 10 copies
Death Zones & Darling Spies by Beverly Deepe Keever
Beverly describes what it was like for a Nebraska farm girl to find herself halfway around the world in Saigon as an American correspondent during the seven year Vietnam War. 10 copies
Once Upon a Town by Bob Greene
In this poignant and heartwarming eyewitness history, based on interviews with North Platte residents and the soldiers who once passed through, Bob tells a classic, lost-in-the-midst-of-time American story of a grateful country honoring its brave and dedicated sons. 9 copies
A Lantern In Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich
Abbie accompanies her family to the soon-to-be-state of Nebraska. There, in 1865, she marries and settles into her own sod house. The novel describes Abbie’s years of child-raising, of making a frontier home able to withstand every adversity. 17 copies
Crazy Horse by Mari Sandoz
This history of the Oglala Indian Crazy Horse is splendidly done and gives a magnificent picture of the Plains Indian civilization. 17 copies
The Meaning Of Names by Karen Gettert Shoemaker
This is a hauntingly tender story set in Nebraska during WWI, a time when nationalism led to prejudice against German-Americans, a time when the influenza pandemic of 1918 killed millions. Karen Gettert Shoemaker weaves an enduring story of faith, family, and love. 15 copies
Black Elk Speaks by John G. Neihardt
The Complete Edition 2017 One Book One Nebraska – Black Elk Speaks, the story of the Oglala Lakota visionary and healer Nicholas Black Elk (1863-1950) and his people on their journey. Whether appreciated as the poignant tale of a Lakota life, as a history of a Native nation, or as an enduring spiritual testament, Black Elk speaks is unforgettable. 15 copies