Due to the COVID-19 virus the Elgin Public Library will be closing its doors as of April 1, 2020 until further notice. Books will still be available. Please call 843-2460 and talk to Barb or Dianne during regular library hours or leave a message and they will get back to you. During this time there will be limited delivery available or curbside pickups. Please check our website http://libraries.ne.gov/elgin for updates and book availability (there is a link to our online catalog on the website). Thank you for your understanding.
EBSCO Learning Express understands the need for high-quality e-learning resources during this time of social distancing and remote learning. That’s why they are making this special offer to Nebraska libraries: FREE access to their complete line of learning products, for public, college, and school libraries. This free access will run through June 30, 2020.
Learning Express products offer powerful resources including practice tests, tutorials, e-books, articles, and flashcards to help students of all ages:
- Improve core skills in English language arts, math and science, social studies and computers
- Prepare for AP®, SAT®, ACT®, and other college entrance exams
- Prepare for military entrance tests (ASVAB, CFAT)
- Explore colleges and careers
- Prepare for occupational certification tests (e.g., allied health, nursing, teaching, and many more)
The link below will enable patrons to access Learning Express Library and Prep STEP. Patrons will need to register for an account using an email address and password. This will allow them to save their progress.
Following this link takes you to the Welcome to Learning Express page. Click on “Public Library” to browse the Learning Express Library® modules; click on “College Library” to browse the Prep STEP® modules.
Learning Express Library modules include: Career Preparation / High School Equivalency Center / College Admissions Test Preparation / School Center [Curriculum support for elementary, middle, and high school students] / College Students / Adult Core Skills / Recursos Para Hispanohablantes.
Prep STEP modules include: Core Math and Science Skills / Core English Skills / College Success Skills / Career Preparation / Basic Computer Skills / Grad School Admissions Preparation / Placement Test Preparation / Recursos Para Hispanohablantes.
Schools and libraries are navigating unchartered territory right now, and we want to help any way we can.
One thing we can do is make sure that no child will be without access to books while schools are closed. MidAmerica books is giving FREE access to all of their eBooks and databases through June, 2020.
Below are several links to access the free library books. We encourage students, teachers, and parents to check them out.
Elementary Digital Bookshelf PreK-8
Secondary Digital Bookshelf 5-12
ABDO Research Database
Elgin Public Library will be closed today, March 20. Stay warm and safe.
At this time we will remain open with the following restrictions:
- Our hours will remain the same except on Wednesdays which will now be from 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 p. m. No evening hours!
- Please do not send children to the library as an alternative to no school. They will be asked to leave. However, we welcome them to check out books!
- Children under age of 10 will only be allowed to use a computer with parental supervision. This should be for schoolwork only.
- No toys will be available for small children at this time
- If patrons feel more comfortable we encourage them to use our online catalog which can be found on our website at http://libraries.ne.gov/elgin/. It is listed under “links”. When you search for the item you are looking for it will tell if it is available or not.
- Even though we are currently open if you would like to call and have us pull books in advance or delivered we would be happy to do so.
THESE RESTRICTIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!!!!!
The library recently started a “Book Bag” program in conjunction with the local daycare providers in Elgin. A book bag of children’s books is provided for the daycare and is exchanged on a weekly basis. At this time three daycare providers are participating in the program.
Lego League will be held Monday, March 16, from 4:00 to 5:00 at Elgin Public Library. Hope to see you there!